Have you been wondering the best places to surf in November? I’ve got you covered!
In this guide, I’ve rounded up all the best places to surf in November, including the surf conditions, price of a surf trip, water temps, and overview of each November surf destination.
In most parts of the world, November is a shoulder season for surfing. For a lot of locations, this is great news, because it means there will be fewer crowds in the water, and lower travel prices. For these reasons, November is one of my favorite times to take a surf trip.
Here are the best places to surf in November!
** This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Meaning, at no extra cost to you, I earn a small commission anytime you purchase any of the linked products. Thanks for your support of Gathering Waves!
- 8 Amazing Places for a November Surf Trip
- FAQs About the best November surf destinations
- Final Thoughts: [different secondary keyword]
8 Amazing Places for a November Surf Trip
1. Costa Rica- Best tropical November surf destination
For those looking for the best place to surf in November, you’ll want to check out Costa Rica. November is the tail end of the rainy season in Costa Rica, which means everything will be lush and green, beaches will be more or less empty, and you’ll get a touch of that fun dry season Costa Rica surf combined with a push of rainy season surf- it’s good for all levels!
Wondering where to go?
Guancaste is dotted with iconic Costa Rican surf towns, and excellent surf spots like Playa Guiones in Nosara, the “little Hawaii ” surf break in Playa Avellanas, epic reef breaks like Playa Negra, and more. If you’re considering a surf trip to Costa Rica and not sure where to go, I’d be happy to help you plan. I’ve surfed all over the country over the last three years, and can help you find the best place to surf for your skill level and the type of waves you’re looking for with my surf trip planning services.
Costa Rica surf conditions in November
November brings consistent surf to Costa Rica in the 3-5 foot range, although you might still experience some overhead and smaller days as well.
The lineups are generally way less crowded in November than the dry season, and prices are lower too.
Cost of a surf trip to Costa Rica in November
- Flights: From the mainland US, flights to/from Costa Rica will likely be in the $400 – $700 range. From Australia, flights will be in the $1,100 – $1,500 range, and from Europe, $800 – $1,200.
- Rental car: While you don’t need a rental car in Costa Rica, it is nice to be able to explore different surf breaks. In November, a rental car will run you about $300 – $500 per week, depending on the car you pick. I recommend an SUV with 4wd, because the roads will still be pretty muddy from the rainy season!
- Hotel: Budget accommodations like hostels and dorms will run you about $20 – $50 per night, mid-range hotels will be about $60 – $120 per night, and for luxury hotels you’ll be paying $150-$200+ per night.
Food: I recommend budgeting $20 – $50 per day for meals and drinks, so you can enjoy all the batidos, gallo pinto, Pilsen, and Casado your heart desires. Trust me, there’s nothing quite like a big plate of gallo pinto after a three hour surf session.
Costa Rica water temperature in November
If you’re dreaming of a November surf trip to the tropics, Costa Rica certainly delivers with 82 degree ocean temps, and air temps in the 72- 90 degree range. Since November is the tail end of the rainy season, it’s likely to rain a few times but it won’t be as torrential as the peak rainy season.
This website has a good breakdown of the weather in Costa Rica in November.
🏄♂️🏄♀️ Browse the most amazing surf camps in Costa Rica
2. El Salvador- Most affordable November surf destination
El Salvador is another one of the best places to surf in November. El Salvador’s 190 miles of coastline is sprinkled with world-class right-hand point breaks, including the famous breaks around La Libertad.
November is part of the country’s dry season transition, so while you’ll still see some rains the waves will be great for intermediate and experienced surfers, and even the beginners on smaller days.
As of 2023, El Salvador has become safer than ever and is a fantastic place to surf in November.
El Salvador surf conditions in November
November marks the tail end of the summer swell season in El Salvador, and waves are going to be in the 3-8 foot range. November is an amazing time to come if you don’t want to deal with the torrential rains of the peak rainy season, but still want to benefit from the swell that comes with it.
Cost of a surf trip to El Salvador surf in November
If you’re trying to plan a surf trip on a budget, you’re in for a treat- El Salvador is one of the cheapest surf destinations in the world!
- Flights: From mainland US: $350 – $650 is typically how much you’ll pay for round trip flights to El Salvador. However, there are some great deals to be had- I’m actually headed out to El Salvador to surf for the first two weeks of November, and there are flights from budget airlines like Avianca for as low as $150 round trip! I ended up booking a more expensive flight with United though because flying from California, it’s only $30 for me to check my board bag each way. With Avianca, it was going to be $150 EACH WAY. From Australia, flights to El Salvador are in the $1,200 – $1,600, and from Europe, they’re in the $750 – $1,100 range.
- Hotels: On a budget, you can find accommodations in hostels and hotels for as low as $15 – $45 per night. More mid-range will be closer to $50 – $100 per night, and luxury hotels will run you $130+ per night.
Food: $15 – $45 per day for meals and drinks depending on your travel style.
El Salvador surf water temperature in November
El Salvador water temps in November are pure tropical bliss. The water is arround 83 degrees, and the air ranges from 74-90. Be sure to pack your surfsuit, board shorts, and plenty of reef safe sunscreen!
🌅 This amazing El Zonte surf hotel has a pool, overlooks the ocean, has a gym, and more!
If you’re on the hunt for where to surf in November, Mexico should definitely be on your radar. In November, Northern Baja sees some amazing waves, surf breaks around the Sayulita area are excellent, and the waves down in the Oaxaca area, like the surf in Puerto Escondido, are must-visits.
November is the end of the hurricane season in Mexico, so surf breaks are starting to sizzle down a bit, and become friendlier to less experienced surfers.
Mexico surf conditions in November
Mexico is huge, so surf conditions are really going to depend on where you’re headed.
In November, Baja Norte is going to see some bigger, more consistent surf, while the waves around Sayulita are going to be perfectly fun-sized for longboarding.
Cost of a surf trip to Mexico in November
- Flights: From mainland US, round trip flights to Mexico are going to range from $250 – $550. From Australia, flights will likely be in the $1,100 – $1,500 range, and they’ll be around $700 – $1,050 for surfers coming from Europe. From California, I’ve seen some really good deals to fly down to Puerto Vallarta to surf in that area, so keep your eyes out!
- Rental cars: Rental cars in Mexico will run you $50-$120 a week before insurance coverage.
- Hotels: You can find budget accommodations for $10 – $50 per night, mid-range for $55 – $110 per night, and luxury for $140 and above per night.
Food estimates: $20 – $40 per day for meals and drinks- depending on how many post-surf street tacos you’re planning on eating.
Mexico water temperature in November
Again, water temps depend on where you’re headed. In Oaxaca, November water temps are around 84 degrees, in Sayulita ocean temps are closer to 80, and up in Northern Baja it’s around 75.
🚗 Rent a car to explore dreamy uncrowded surf breaks in Mexico
If you’re looking for the best place to surf in November, Morocco should be high on your list.
November in Morocco marks the beginning of its surf season, with breaks around the Taghazout area starting to come to life. Anchored by world-famous breaks like Anchor Point, Killer Point, and Boilers, this coastal village promises long right-hand point breaks.
Morocco surf conditions in November
As the North Atlantic starts to stir, November sees Morocco’s waves come alive. With consistent swells, anticipate wave heights ranging between 4-8 feet, though spots like Anchor Point might see sets reaching 10 feet on bigger days.
The point breaks, especially around Taghazout, offer extra-long rides suitable for both shortboards and longboards.
Cost of a surf trip to Morocco in November
- Flights: From Europe, flights range from $50-$250. Coming from the US, flights range from $450-$950. From Australia, expect to pay somewhere between $1,200-$1,600.
- Accommodation: A bed in a dorm in a surf hostel in Morocco starts at about $15/night. Hotels are going to range from $25/night to $200+ for more luxury surf resorts.
Food: Budget $15-$40 a day depending on your travel style, if you plan on cooking, etc.
Morocco water temperature in November
Air temperatures in Morocco in November hover between 60°F to 76°F (15°C to 24°C). Water temperatures range from 61°F to 66°F (16°C to 19°C).
If you’re surfing in Morocco in November, you’ll probably want a 4/3mm wetsuit, but if you’re used to colder conditions, a 3/2mm might be fine for you, especially in the early part of the month.
🌊 This Morocco surf camp includes daily guided trips to amazing surf spots
When considering where to surf in November, the picturesque coastlines of France might not be the first to come to mind, but they certainly should be.
The southwest region, predominantly the Landes coast, is the heart of French surfing. Towns like Hossegor, Biarritz, and Seignosse are iconic in the surf sphere.
November is a prime time to experience the Atlantic swells in their full force.
As summer crowds dissipate and the autumn swells kick in, France emerges as one of the best surf destinations in November. From the hollow beach breaks of Hossegor to the mellow waves in Biarritz, there’s a corner of the French coast for every surfer.
France surf conditions in November
November in France is characterized by powerful, consistent Atlantic swells. Wave heights during this time vary, ranging from a moderate 3-5 feet to adrenaline-pumping 8-10 feet on certain days, especially around the La Gravière break in Hossegor.
Fewer crowds also mean more wave opportunities, making November an excellent time to explore the French coast.
Cost of a surf trip to France in November
- Flights: From mainland US, November flights to France range from $500 – $1,200. From Australia, flights are in the $1,300 – $1,700 range, and from other countries in Europe, only $50-$300
- Rental car: $150 – $3000 per week
- Hotel: Budget accommodations will run you about $30 – $70 per night, mid-range: $75 – $150 per night, and for luxury, $160 and above per night.
Food: Budget $40 – $70 per day so you can try all the amazing French food.
France water temperature in November
Air temperatures in France in November are pretty mild, ranging from 50°F (10°C) to 60°F (15°C), but the Atlantic waters do stay cooler at about 58°F (14°C).
You’ll definitely want a 4/3mm wetsuit, and maybe even some booties!
Explore the best surf camps in France
Nicaragua, often dubbed the “land of lakes and volcanoes,” has steadily grown in popularity within the surf community, and for good reason.
November is a transitional month in Nicaragua, bridging the gap between the rainy and dry seasons. This results in consistent swell without the intense crowds of peak season, solidifying Nicaragua’s reputation as one of the best surf destinations in November.
It’s the perfect time to surf in Nicaragua for anyone who might find the rainy season waves just a bit too much, or the surf in the dry season just too small. Check out our guide to the surf seasons in Nicaragua if you’re looking for a bit more guidance on the best times to surf here.
Nicaragua surf conditions in November
Thanks to the persistent off-shore winds from Lake Nicaragua, surfers can expect clean, well-shaped waves throughout the day. Average wave heights hover around 3-6 feet, with certain breaks occasionally breaking larger.
The region’s diverse topography means there are beach breaks, point breaks, and reef breaks to explore. With the rains subsiding and yet the major crowds still at bay, surfers can often find themselves sharing waves only with their closest friends and the occasional playful dolphin.
Cost of a surf trip to Nicaragua in November
- Flight estimates: From mainland US, November flights to Nicaragua range from $400 – $700. From Australia, flights range from $1,300 – $1,600, and $800-$1,150 from Europe.
- Hotel estimates: You can find budget accommodations like hostels in Nicaragua from $10 – $50 per night. Mid-range goes for about $60 – $110 per night, and you can find luxury accommodations for $130 and above per night.
Food estimates: I’d budget $20 – $40 per day for food on a surf trip to Nicaragua. You can easily go cheaper and eat local, but there are opportunities to splurge as well. In Popoyo at least, I found that the restaurant options weren’t that cheap, with food ranging $8-$15/plate. There were a few local options with better prices, of course but not as many.
Nicaragua water temperature in November
Air temperatures stay pleasantly around 82°F (28°C), with the Pacific waters not far behind at a tropical 80°F (27°C). However, if you’re in southern Nicaragua I highly recommend bringing along a 1-2mm vest or spring suit, because the offshore winds can make the water pretty cold, especially in the early morning! I brought a 1mm vest and that was perfect for me, as long as I kept moving- if I slowed down while waiting between sets I would get a little cold.
🌊Check out our local’s guide to the best Nicaragua surf camps
7. Hawaii- Best US November surf destination
Hawaii is an excellent place to look for a November surf trip. Especially if you’re looking for somewhere to go in the US.
Wondering where to head?
Oahu’s North Shore is the epicenter of surfing, especially as the winter swell begins to roll in. From Sunset Beach to the Banzai Pipeline, the options are great for experienced surfers. Then there’s Maui’s Honolua Bay and Lahaina.
November is also the low season for traveling to Hawaii, so it’s a really great time to find cheap flight deals.
Hawaii surf conditions in November
As November dawns on Hawaii, the islands brace for the onset of the winter swell.
The North Shore, in particular, can see waves ranging from a 3 feet to towering 20 feet giants. However, spots like Waikiki and Lahaina offer more mellow waves, perfect for beginners.
Cost of a surf trip to Hawaii in November
Hawaii is going to be one of the more expensive November surf trip destinations on this list.
- Flights: From the mainland US, flights will run you $300 – $850 round trip. From Australia, flights are in the $1,100 – $1,500 range, and typically cost $1200-$1700 from Europe.
- Rental car: $280 – $520 per week. And you’ll definitely want to book a rental car in Hawaii so you can explore all the different surf breaks!
- Hotel: Budget accommodations in Hawaii are $80 – $150 per night if you can find a good deal. Mid-range runs about $160-$280 per night, and luxury is $300 and above.
- Food: I recommend budgeting around $60 – $100 per day to try all the amazing food in Hawaii. You can definitely go cheaper by cooking some meals at your accommodations though.
Hawaii water temperature in November
November Ocean temperatures in Hawaii hover around 77-80°F. And while the Hawaiian sun keeps the air temperature between 73-85°F, do be prepared for the occasional tropical shower. After all, those rainbows have to come from somewhere, right?
🚗Rent a car to explore Hawaii’s off the beaten path surf breaks
8. Northern Spain
To most travelers, thoughts of Spain might conjure up images of mouthwatering paella and La Sagrada Familia. Yet for surfers, November is an excellent time for surfing in Spain.
Northern Spain surf conditions in November
As November approaches, Northern Spain generally offers waves in the 3-5 foot range. Still, there can be large swells in the Atlantic which means some days can surprise with much larger sets. Popular spots, especially places like San Sebastian, can get packed, but there are some more secluded breaks out there too.
While the peak swell season is yet to hit, it’s a fantastic time for beginners and intermediates.
Cost of a surf trip to Northern Spain in November
- Flights: From the mainland US, flights to Spain in November range from $400 – $1,100. From Australia, they range from $1,400 – $1,800, and from Europe, they range from $50-$250.
- Rental car: You can find rentals cars in Spain for $200 – $420 per week
- Hotel: You can find budget accommodations from $25 to $60 per night. Mid-range options are $85 – $170 per night, and you can find luxury accommodations for $180 and above per night.
Food: Budget $40 – $75 per day, depending on your travel style and how much you want to cook vs. eat out.
Northern Spain water temperature in November
By November, expect air temperatures of 60°F (15°C) to 68°F (20°C). The water’s a tad chillier, averaging around 60°F (16°C). You’ll want a 4/3mm wetsuit, and maybe even some surf booties.
Best Surf Hostel in Northern Spain: Surfing Extea
FAQs About the best November surf destinations
Where is good surf in November?
Some of the best places to surf in November include Costa Rica, Mexico, El Salvador, Hawaii, Northern Spain, Morocco, and France.
Is November a good time to surf in Costa Rica?
Yes! November is the shoulder season in Costa Rica and the rains won’t be as heavy, but you’ll still get plenty of decent swell. And, prices and crowds will be lower.
Is November a good time to surf in Portugal?
Yes. November is the start of the big swell season in Portugal, so you’ll have a solid mix of bigger and smaller days. If the waves are too big on the west coast of Portugal, you can always head to the south coast to surf.
Check out my ultimate Portugal surf guide I wrote after spending several months surfing all over Portugal if you’re curious about learning more about the surf in Portugal!
Final Thoughts: Best Places to Surf in November
That’s a wrap on this guide to the best November surf destinations. Whether you’re looking to get away from the cold and surf somewhere tropical, or add a touch of European culture to your November surf trip, I hope this guide has helped you.
Still stumped on where to plan your surf trip? Check out our surf trip planning services, I’d be happy to help you decide where to take your next surf adventure.